Wednesday, January 5, 2011

life in a New Year.

Everyone talks about New Years Resolutions and I am not so sure that I believe in it, for myself that it. It is just setting me up for failure. I think once I followed through for a couple of months, but that was it, and just once! But I do have goals to shoot for for the year as well as for my family.

With Cole, we have decided to start him on a weekly allowance, that way he can save up for things he would like to buy for himself. I researched the amount on a variety of parenting websites and it gave me the simple equation of a dollar for each year. So my six year old will get a six dollar a week allowance. Using the age as the mark also sets it up for a yearly raise, which is also fool proof every time they whine about wanting more. And if you have more than one kid getting an allowance, then there is not fights as to why someone gets more than the other. It is based on age and is fair.

So, on Sundays, after a week of chores and extra work around the house, Cole is rewarded with his allowance. He can put it in his wallet to spend or some in his piggy bank to save. But there is also a catch. If you have read my blog, then you know about the card system at school. If not, go here. For every card that Cole gets at school, then he gets a dollar taken away. If he has to walk the line, then the allowance is gone for the week. Of course, being such gracious parents, we can give a dollar back for EXCEPTIONAL behavior, and trust me, it better be exceptional, though his allowance will not exceed six dollars.

We will see how this goes. We want him to be an active participant in our family and the daily running of the household. Also to be a good example to his little brother and have this all carry over at school, being a respectful and helpful young man. Now if we can only remember to pay him, and for him, he needs to learn to collect his keep!

As for Blake, well this little bugger gets away with a lot more than Cole ever did, so as parents we need to work on some consistency for a child who thinks he can conquer and run the world at two. He is a little cutie and also has Grandma Connie wrapped around his little fingers. It is very cute to see the special relationship they have. I appreciate Grandma for being with Blake while mom is at work. I am very lucky! Stay tuned for more on Blake...

1 comment:

  1. Consistency & picking your battles...for sure!! and I agree...I don't do New Years Resolutions either...just setting myself up for failure :)

    ReplyDelete