Tuesday, October 12, 2010

life with a big kid.

So Josh and I try to stay right on top of Cole, to keep him respectful and treating people properly. This is a tough task at times, he can have some sass like his mother, but we want him to grow up to be a nice young man. We know he can. Lately, he is getting older and as we ask him to do things, we get the responses of "just a minute", "I'm busy", or "I'll be right there". Sometimes we do get attitude and he wants nothing to do with helping. Of course this is all normal, but never easy to deal with. I try to remember I used to give those same excuses and attitudes, oh wait, I still give them. Well, Cole is a logical kid so I try to reason with him, tell him that we do so many things for him, such as making him breakfast, lunch, dinner, taking him places and doing fun things for him. I told him that most kids in his school get dropped off outside and walk in by themselves and that he has a mommy that walks him in every morning and helps hang his coat and backpack up and walk in. Well no more! If he can't help around the house, then I can't walk him in. Oh, how the tears poured, realizing he had to do this alone. He was worried, nervous all night, but I told him he would be fine, he could do it.

So, this morning, he got up, and was actually confident he would be fine. Mom on the other hand was having her doubts, reminding him of all the things he needed to do, return library books, folder, reading homework, lunch, water bottle, etc, and he said, "yes mom, I can do it, I'll be fine." Okay, breathe Michelle, he said he will be fine. I pull up to the school and get in the drop off lane.  He unbuckles his seat belt, (I had to beg for a kiss and he made sure no one was looking), puts on his backpack, grabs his library books, hops out, says bye to me, closes the car door and walks off. That was it. I saw him walk to the door, open it and disappear into the school.

Well, good for him, that wasn't so bad mom. You didn't even have to get out of the car, what a breeze! But then, my emotions took over. I almost had a full fledged tear, thinking this day of seeing him walk into school all by himself, all grown up, my big boy, was harder than the first day of kindergarten a month ago.I am not needed. WOW! Of course I am so proud of him, but realizing he is growing up is hard. Blake, you better stay little forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment