Thursday, September 9, 2010

life's beginnings. (Starting Kindergarten, Part II)

I thought about Cole the entire day, wondering how he was liking school, if he thought it was too long, if he was being shy, making friends, everything. I don't think I would classify it as worrying....no, not me! You would think I would be totally at ease, as well as the morning had gone for Cole, but I was very excited to see him after school and ask him all about it. He was thrilled, loved every second, especially the 3 recesses (of course), and the day did not seem that long. Perfect! Cole loves school, I am stoked! He made a friend who his desk is next to, Kurtis, as well as another friend who he only refers to as "the kid from soccer camp". He does not feel the need to learn his name quite yet. But I smiled and was happy for the success of Cole's first full day of school! YAY!

But......yes.......with Cole, he always keeps us on our toes! At dinner, dad asked him about school and how it went and of course asked the question that no mother would ask of her sweet, shy, cute child...."Did you get into trouble at school today?" I'm thinking, my shy child, we have at least a month until he comes out of his shell and the teacher realizes that he is NOT a quiet child. However, Cole's response, "Um.....I got put on timeout, my friend from soccer camp and I." What??? Seriously??? My sweet, shy boy??? Are you kidding me??? The shock, and disappointment, that my child was one of those, busted on the first day.....just great! Josh, of course our calm and collected one thought I was over reacting....no.....not me? Well I didn't yell or freak out at Cole or anything like that, but I was disappointed. I mean, it was the first day. Ahhhh....deflated again. My first day of Kindergarten, not as I expected!

But after talking with Cole, realized it was minor incident (boys crashing cars into each other and other kids) and typical boy behavior. I am sure the teacher was setting a precedent in school that any chaotic boy behavior can be saved for home, and hopefully lesson learned, day one. Mom was over the disappointment!

I thanked Cole for telling us and we told him he was not going to be punished by us. He got in trouble at school and they handled it and therefore it was done, hopefully.

But really, day one was a complete success and Cole does love school! We are truly thankful for that and hope it continues.

1 comment:

  1. Cole in school already?!

    Saw your pop the other night in Wailuku. He's looking well. So glad you are blogging. I just started last month.

    miss you,

    June

    ReplyDelete