I was at work yesterday when my co worker said, "Michelle, Bob Sampson on the phone for you." Well, Mr. Sampson is the principal at Cole's school, so my thought was, "oh great, what did Cole do?"
So, I pick up the phone waiting for the news of what my cute little kindergartner did. The story goes a little like this. Cole and D (we will not use his full name) were playing on the slide and D pushed Cole (in play) back down the slide. I quickly have a thought, oh, maybe he is hurt and that is why he is calling me??? Um, no luck. He continues to tell me that Cole fell (did not get hurt) and got up and hit D and then D hit Cole and they were broken up. Whoa Cole, little brawl in the school yard huh? Not funny. (Sorta actually) But the boys were taken to the principals office to talk out the problem and how to better solve the situation. I fully respect Mr. Sampson and Cole's school and they really instill in the kids how to handle themselves in situations, the difference between a threatening situation and one that was meant in play and then how to handle it. I appreciate the phone call from the school communicating all of this as well. We know Cole would have not come out and told me. If fact, when I got home I asked him how school was? His reply, "No cards mom!" Um great Cole, but what about the visit to the principals office and then having to walk to the line? Ya, no mention of that. Not surprised.
Anyway, I asked him about the incident and what he could have done better? His answer, "Control myself." Ha! Not a 6 year old answer, but I guess he was listening to Mr. Sampson! But all of this brings up conversation of how to teach your child self control and also defending himself and not being one to be pushed around and picked on, but yet how to decide which situation this is. Geeze, all these things to consider. I don't want Cole to ever be a bully but also not to be a push over, which I don't think he will be either, but learning all of this starts so early in life.
Of course when dad hears the story he laughs, thinking, well good, Cole stood up for himself and the kid pushed him. And yes true, I supposed I agree with that to some extent, but also it was all while they were playing, so I want Cole to be able to control his first reaction and be able to assess the situation and decide how to handle it. And then if it was meant in innocent play and no one was hurt, to then be able to move on and keep on playing. Cole is a little sensitive in that aspect, so I am glad he is in a school that is helping them decipher between the two.
So really, this was not a bad phone call. A minor incident on the playground and well, nothing I am concerned about, but all of these things we as parents are trying to teach our kids and maybe even learn them for ourselves. And soon enough we will have Blake in school, who is not afraid to go out and get what he wants, so that will be a whole new ballgame. Ahhh.....our lives with our boys!
No comments:
Post a Comment