Tuesday, March 8, 2011

life with homework.

Did you ever think that a kindergarten student would have homework every night? Well ours does and I am not sure how I feel about it. Okay, actually, I LOVE it! He brings home his reading books every night and we are able to see how he is doing in school. However, homework is getting longer and harder as we progress in the year and since it is reading and phonics, it has to be done with a parent. He has to mark his vowels and learn the special sounds, on top of just plain reading. (You are thinking, what? Phonics? Yes, we are learning phonics right along with Cole...haha) Which again is great, we are helping our child and staying involved in his education. But, he is six, and a boy, and rambunctious , and sometimes when he gets home from school homework is not on the mind. ( I know, shocking!) Then he has dinner and well, now it is play time and homework, well, where do we fit that in? I guess this is where we learn balance and priorities, but I am thankful for laying the foundation of homework and the priority of school and yes, that he is reading! But wow, homework every night?!?! Not that he knows any different and he loves it, but did you have that much when you were that little?

1 comment:

  1. Every night!? That's crazy! I know other kids don't have it every night...but then those kids are not in every day K...I wonder how more advanced your kid is than those in public school :) ha!! I don't remember having any homework until at least 2nd or 3rd grade...but then again I have a horrible memory :)

    ReplyDelete